What is the Difference Between Vegetarians and Vegans?
Vegetarians and vegans are similar, due to both groups incorporating more plant-based products into their diets. However, they are also very different due to the amount of animal product they limit in their diets. The main difference between the two is veganism limits all types of meat and animal products, while vegetarians allow animal products, but do not include meats in their diets.
Did you know that Canvita vitamins are great for both vegetarians and vegans? There are many different vitamins and minerals that can be neglected in these plant-based diets– but no need to worry! Canvita vitamins are vegetarian and vegan certified. Check out our shop.
Pros and Cons of a Vegetarian and Vegan Diet
Pros of vegetarian/vegan diet:
- By avoiding meat consumption, you can help our environment: The meat industry contributes a great deal to climate change and greenhouse gases. Livestock production creates a huge amount of emissions.
- May reduce the risk of diabetes: Studies have shown that vegetarianism can stabilize blood sugar.
- Encourages heart health: A vegetarian diet can encourage a healthy heart. Cutting out meat can help encourage leveled cholesterol levels and lead to lower blood pressure.
Cons of vegetarian/vegan:
- Can lead to deficiencies in your diet: Vegetarian diets are great! However, because there is a lack of meat, vegetarians need to watch out for all the nutritional benefits they may miss because of the exclusion of meat in their diet. Vegetarians should include more vitamins and minerals such as vitamin c, vitamin d, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin B12 in their diets.
- High carb diets can increase your blood sugar: Although a vegetarian diet can stabilize blood sugar, it can also increase it. Make sure you’re watching your carb intake!